As some of you know, we (Elaine and Art Aron) took off almost 6-months (August 2016 through most of January 2017) for some inner and outer travel. During it we both kept a journal without reading each other’s, thinking it would be fun to compare notes at the end. We also thought that it might turn out to be interesting to some people, given that before we left, so many thought it was an intriguing idea to take a “six-month retirement” rather than waiting to completely retire or not ever wanting to stop one’s work permanently.
To make this journal available, we decided to do a serialization, seven installments, in website and printable PDF versions, so that you can purchase one by one (very cheaply—$2.99/installment). The first installment is actually two months—June and July, the ones before we left. We figure you might purchase that out of curiosity, but after you read it, you should know if you want to purchase the second when we let you know it is available (shortly after the first). If enough purchase that, we will know there is sufficient interest to prepare the other five for serialization. (However, you are never committed to buying more.) Otherwise, if only a few want the second, we will do something else useful with our time (and sincerely regret that those who wanted more will not receive it).
As we reread the journals, we realized that our writing fell into five very different categories.
- The “travelogue”—this could be especially interesting to those who like to travel, because we sought out beautiful places where fewer tourists go, in North America’s Rockies, Wales and southwest England, northern Sweden, sweet corners of Switzerland, southwest France, Andalucía in Spain, and well, yes, touristy Hawaii. If you never go, you will at least know more about these corners of the planet.
- Suggestions scattered throughout for taking off six months and making this kind of travel smoother.
- The feelings about doing this as they arose during preparations to go and to wind up our work, and then along the way. We have added some reflections afterwards as well.
- How our relationship evolved, since some people might wonder how it would work for a couple to be together 24/7 for six months.
- The part that was something of a spiritual quest, with one week of each month dedicated to meditation “retreats,” by ourselves, in different lovely settings. Elaine called this our “Pilgrimage to Nowhere,” a reference to Taoism. But the longer comments on the spiritual part we have italicized in case you are not so interested in getting to Nowhere.
If this all sounds a trifle dull, rest assured there was also some high drama.
Instructions for purchasing the first installment (June & July)
of our Six Month Retirement Journey:
- Click Buy Now (below) and follow the instructions to pay by Paypal or credit card.
- When you see a page that says: You paid $2.99 USD, stop.
- Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on Return to Merchant.
- Click the link to read on web or on the printable PDF.
- Begin reading!
Questions? Please contact us.